South Bend, Indiana, USA
Kimberly Andert had submitted an entry for the Word Game Design competition but unfortunately her entry was lost in a spam folder until it was noticed more than 2 weeks after the extended deadline had passed.
She has kindly agreed to let us share her design entry and images of her previous award-winning wearable art works for the online blog only.
Ms. Andert's Design for the Word Game fabric:
Evening gown of handpainted Egyptian cotton, featuring words from the Mobius Word Game; underskirt of dictionary pages and tulle. The bodice is embellished with Scrabble tiles; jewelry of the same to accessorize.
One piece gown, with boned bodice and underskirt. Over gown draping of The Word Game fabric; underskirt of dictionary pages, cut in dagged shaped. Bodice will be (most likely) of a collage of fabric and lace, accented with words spelled out in Scrabble tiles. Any other trims to the entire piece will be determined as the project progresses, but will not radically change the design as pictured.
Other materials to be used, besides the provided fabric- dictionary pages, Scrabble tiles, tulle, possibly lace and beads as well.
Accessories, to include a necklace and bracelet, of Scrabble tiles, will be included as well. Headpiece, or hair décor to be determined at a later date.
Kimberly Andert is a wearable artist specializing in clothing and accessories with a vintage look and feel. Her love of historic costume, especially the highly ornamented Victorian and Edwardian periods, influences much of her work. She utilizes repurposed clothing (mostly silk) and vintage trims and laces, mixing them with modern fabrics to give a sense of romance, femininity and fantasy to all of her garments. Her working style is a collage of texture, featuring laces and trims, beads and sequins, feathers and fringe, ribbons and flowers-all the ingredients necessary to make a piece truly one of a kind.
Juried Wearable Art Shows-
- Wearable Art Awards, Port Moody, British Columbia, CA, February 2011. "Angel of Mercy" (gown, wings, headpiece).
- Red Cross Wearable Art Show, Santa Clara, CA, May 2010. "Angel of Mercy" (gown, wings, headpiece).
- Wearable Art Awards, Port Moody, British Columbia, CA, February 2010. Retrospective invitational show; "Lady Liberty Camouflaged"(dress, petticoat, hat); People's Choice Winner 2010.
- Wearable Art Awards, Port Moody, British Columbia, CA, March 2009. "Thrift Shop Muse" (bodice w/panniers, underskirt, headpiece).
- Bernina Fashion Show, Houston, TX, November 2008. "Afternoon at Ascot" (dress, hat, purse).
- Bernina Fashion Show, Houston, TX, November 2007. "Gin and Jazz After Midnight" (dress, velvet coat).
- Wearable Art Awards, Port Moody, British Columbia, CA, September 2007. "Lady Liberty Camouflaged"(dress, petticoat, hat). Conceptual Award Winner 2007.
- Wearable Art Awards, Port Moody, British Columbia, CA, September 2006. "Radiance" (bustier, skirt, shrug). People's Choice Winner 2006.
- Bernina Fashion Show, Houston, TX, November 2005. "Woman of the Wood" (gown).
Word Game Design Elements
Word Game Design Sketch
A Sampling of Kimberly Andert's Award Winning Wearable Art Pieces: