** THIS CALL HAS ENDED - WE ARE NO LONGER TAKING SUBMISSIONS**
- THANK YOU
Call for The 2011 Mobius Wearable Art Runway Show
Deadline for Descriptions: April 30th, 2011
A Call for Wearable Art to be walked down the runway at The 2011 Mobius Wearable Art Runway Show, co-curated by Alison Safford, James Ellis Coleman and Jane Wang, which will take place at 7pm on
Friday May 6, 2011 at Mobius, 725 Harrison Avenue, Boston, MA, USA.
The event will take place during the closing weekend of "A Tool Is A Mirror" curated by Elizabeth Keithline, a group exhibition which is part of this year's Boston Cyberarts Festival (April 22nd through May 8th, 2011).
Call for Wearable Art. All work will be accepted as long as the work is wearable art and can be worn on a runway.
The "themes" for this call for work are:
a. General (that is, no specific theme)
b. Cyberart (in honor of Boston Cyberarts 2011)
c. Word Game (use any or all of the words submitted for The Word Game Fabric, please see link below for list of words to chose from)
You must either provide your own model or model your look yourself and you must be present with your work at the 2011 Mobius Wearable Art Runway Show
on May 6th, 2011 or provide someone to fully represent you (that is, be responsible for your work, your model and if applicable, your hair/makeup/stylist at the show).
There are no guidelines regarding hair and makeup (that is, this is optional). The gallery area at Mobius will open a few hours before the runway show with tables, chairs, electrical outlets and at least one full length mirror set up for anyone who would like to come early and have time to style hair and makeup on whoever will be wearing the work. Note that at approximately 5:45pm, the gallery space will be reconfigured for the runway show and a short walk-through of the runway show will take place at approximately 6pm.
Each work will be announced by an MC so with your submission please provide a brief description of your work as you would like it announced by the MC.
By being part of this show, you are giving Mobius and any press/photographers/videographers present on May 6th during the runway show permission to document your work online and in printed media.
Send an email to Jane @ mobius . org (remove spaces to obtain actual email address)
with the Subject line starting with:
2011 Wearable Runway -
1. Your name - as you would like it to appear in any online PR and announced by the MC.
2. Your city, state/province, country - as you would like it to appear in any online PR
3. Your email address
4. Your cell/text phone number - where to contact you if we need to reach you last minute
5. Model's name (can be yourself) - as you would like it announced by the MC and listed in any online PR
6. Design description - as you would like it announced by the MC and listed on any online PR
7. Theme: a. General b. Cyberart c. Word Game
8. If you cannot be present at the runway show, you must provide the name, email address and cell/text phone number of the person who will be representing you at the show
9. If you are bringing Hair/Makeup/Stylist, please list their names and specify here if you would like to have time in the gallery before the run-through for hair/makeup/etc.
10. Your bio (100 words or less) as you would like it to appear any online PR
11. Any weblinks you would like listed on any online PR
12. If your work has already been fabricated, please attach a jpeg file if possible
List of all Word Game words and artists: http://www.mobius.org/events/word-game-0
Couture or Wearable Art Word Game Design Competition
(this is a separate call for designs using The Word Game Fabric itself - the winning design will be in the runway show):
Concurrent Exhibition at Mobius, "A Tool Is A Mirror" curated by Elizabeth Keithline, a group exhibition which is part of this year's Boston Cyberarts Festival (April 22nd through May 8th, 2011): http://www.mobius.org/events/tool-mirror
Mobius, Inc.: http://www.facebook.com/mobiusartistsgroup
Mobius and the Mobius Artists Group: http://www.mobius.org
Rising Design, a group of designers based in Boston, had a terrific runway show at Mobius.
Their show was the inspiration behind having The 2011 Mobius Wearable Art Runway Show at Mobius:
Video showing Rising Design's runway show at Mobius during Boston Fashion Week 2010:
Photos from Rising Design's runway show at Mobius: http://risingdesignboston.tumblr.com/